I’m going to keep with my theme of computer/network security for your Temecula or Murrieta Small Business. Let’s talk about some Do’s and Don’ts of keeping your computer secure and optimized. When you connect to the internet, you will be exposing your system to many new threats including worms and viruses. There is a ton of malware hiding in the corners waiting to attack your computer systems. To ensure your internet security is not compromised, you need to be equipped with a tool that can prevent worms and viruses from attacking your PC while taking other actions that can act as a deterrent for virus infestation. One of the most effective tools for fighting these system attacks, is a firewall.
- Eliminate unnecessary startup programs
- Add/Remove programs (Get rid of old apps you don’t need)
- Run your antivirus/antispyware regularly
- Use your System Restore feature (start>programs>accessories>system tools>system restore)
- BACK UP YOUR DATA!
- Update your computer with Microsoft patches and updates
- Use strong passwords
- Use passwords on your screen savers
- Lock your computer when you leave your desk
- Use Anti-Virus Protection!
- Use wallpaper or sereen saver programs
- Emoticon programs
- Toolbars (Yahoo, Google, etc…)
- Leave your laptop on the charger all the time (use your battery or lose it)
- Don’t let your kids use your computer
- Enable the Save Password feature
You must have security software. Without a firewall and an antivirus program running in the background at all times, your computer could be working for a criminal instead of for you. Trojans, worms, and other malware (malicious software) can ride roughshod over your PC, stealing your logon names, passwords, and bank account numbers, or even hijack it to attack other computers and networks.
Questions? I’d be happy to help! Just give me a call.